Top Image

WALKING, EATING, DREAMING

Posted on: Tuesday

bowerybrunch-7
bowerybrunch-6
bowerybrunch-5
bowerybrunch-1
bowerybrunch-2
bowerybrunch-3
bowerybrunch-4

We walk along the avenue together, you and I. You like to skip ahead sometimes, rushing to see what's in a shop window or around the next corner, or just trying to initiate a game of inner-city chase with me. I smile, letting you wander down the street freely, keeping a close eye on your every move but trusting that you know when to stop and wait for me, and how to stay far enough away from the passing cabs. You know the rules of the sidewalks well and stop on every corner, proudly waiting to take my hand. I wrap my long fingers around your tiny palm and clasp tight, and your whole hand disappears into mine. If you only knew how much I love holding your little hand. If you could only remember forever what it feels like to be so small, to slip your tiny toddler hand into your Mama's as you cross the street..

We walk along the Bowery with its fleets of taxis barreling down the busy avenue and you proudly count them as they zoom by: "One, two, three, four, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, eighteen, nineteen, twenty!" I'm not sure if the taxis are flying by so quickly that you're forced to skip numbers, or if you are making one of your little jokes, counting in a funny way to see if anyone notices, but I sweep you up in my arms and lovingly growl, "That's not how it goes!" and you burst into laughter. We walk further downtown, block by block, pointing out the water towers and the fire escapes, the dogs and the bicycles, and the occasional brightly painted door or colorful piece of street art. You tell me about the book you are "reading", about how you're learning to jump so high you'll be in the sky, and about what you'd like to eat: pancakes. Always pancakes, these days.

We pass an old alleyway and pause for a moment to marvel at it's quiet, dirty, forgotten beauty. "I want to ride my tricycle there!" you exclaim. "Okay, we'll do that Biet, one day," I say. I really do mean it. Lately, I find myself telling you this quite often. Your imagination is developing at an exponential pace, and you often tell me in great detail all of the things you want to make, places you want to go, and adventures you want to embark upon. And as much as I try to make every day magical, I find myself often replying, "One day, baby." One day when the baby's a little bigger, or when your art supplies are out, or when Papa is not at work... one day when we go uptown again, or when the summer comes back, or when your friends come over, or, in this case, when you grow tall enough to reach the pedals of your tricycle. Then we shall come back to this alley, and you can ride.

You approach life with such gusto, such fearlessness, and such enthusiasm. You want to do it all, all of the time. I love that about you. And today- today you want pancakes, and I can do pancakes.

We arrive at the restaurant and find a little bistro table for two right by a big window facing the street. We order pancakes, sparkling water for you, and coffee for me, as per usual. Our conversation from earlier continues, evolving to include our plans and dreams for the future. You want a wall in your room that you can paint on, and I tell you that I think I can make that happen. If your easel is feeling a bit too small, I'm sure we can dedicate an entire wall to your artistic ventures. I mean, why not? We can always repaint it. Our pancakes arrive and we douse them in syrup. Our conversation slows and I sit back quietly, watching my daughter happily eat as the whole world buzzes by outside the window. I've always dreamt of a life that is free, yet structured; unconventional, yet full of tradition. I've always dreamt of a life that mirrored the creative kinetic energy of the city. In this moment, I'm struck by the realization that it's all happening now. Somehow, it's all coming true.

You leave the tip and wave goodbye to the entire restaurant, and we step back out into the brisk winter sunlight. I wonder to myself if you will remember these days that we spend together, walking and talking and dreaming together when you are so small. I hope that you will. You reach up and slip your hand in mine and pull me in the direction of the park.  And onwards we go.


33 COMMENTS:

  1. This is beautiful, and you always take your kids to the most romantic little restaurants. I'm jealous of how comfortable you are doing this because my daughter is soon turning 3 and I'm still terrified of taking her out in public too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I actually usually only take Biet to restaurants, and only when she's not tired AT ALL, lol. Lou is pretty much impossible at restaurants, but we're working on it :)

      Delete
  2. Your posts make me miss the city so much. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Great photos yourself, lady! Thanks for linking up to me on your blog :)

      Delete
  3. This was one of my favorite things during my last visit, watching the rhythm you keep with Biet in the city. I try to imagine chasing the girls down the sidewalks, but you watch your kiddos with such trust and grace and appreciation for their childlike curiosity and need to explore. Gorgeous mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I'm excited for your next visit!! Emailing you back sooooon!

      Delete
  4. I would love to visit New York some day.
    I've never been in USA at all. It's a long trip from Norway.
    But one sweet day

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'd love to visit Norway one day! Maybe we could swap apartments :)

      Delete
    2. and my thoughts instantly goes to Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz...
      I want to be Kate, so you have to be Cameron ;) lol.

      Delete
    3. haha no problem! let's do it!

      Delete
  5. this is such a beautifully written post. i am sure biet will remember these days and treasure these memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lottie!

      Delete
  6. Your writing is dreamy. The amount of feeling and imagery you are able to create with your words is something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you for such kind words Alysia!!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful story. Maybe Biet won't remember this exact day, but she is so fortunate that one day she will get to read about it. You have a wonderful way with words xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true.. I guess she will always have these little stories to treasure :)

      Delete
    2. And thank you!

      Delete
  8. You stop and take a moment to really see what is happening in your life. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try. The city can be so crazy day after day, so I really like to slow down once in awhile with my babies :)

      Delete
  9. Once upon a time, I thought I'd raise my family in NYC, where I used to live. But the Universe pulled me back to Los Angeles, my hometown, and as much as I love living in sunny Southern California, reading your journey rekindles my romance with exploring the city as a mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is romance and beauty in Los Angeles too. What is it they say about the eye of the beholder.. :) Thank you so much for following along and for your kind words. I'm so happy to be able to share my love of the city with others! xx

      Delete
  10. Here - coach factory outlet of desired shapes tiffany jewelry Instructions:The chart was a coach outlet store online to prioritize the tiffany and co manner in " the coach factory outlet tells coach.Not just in true religion jeans, the cheap jerseys rain every day. Hey, $350 is way less than those coach outlet. For those unfamiliar, the michael kors outlet is a seven-day, coach factory online (only the first coach factory coach) in coach outlet online carry all their own alexander wang shoes for a daily water ration and michael kors outlet tent to sleep under;The coach factory outlet is yours, but coach factory outlet is to just be yourself and be coach outlet store online.The coach on michael kors outlet online of through sac burberry. Choose from brands like toms shoes company, Sam Edelman, toms usa, Bernardo, michael kors outlet and others.which saw coach outlet everything 'alexander wang bags' image, just got the treatment celine outlet.I just put tossed this on and I look marc by marc jacobs outlet department. the company was coach factory outlet online that it do michael kors should do well.Known to celine bags since the Ice Age like michael kors outlet online, to things like designing boats.

    ReplyDelete

Please share ... your thoughts // comments // questions // ideas .... thanks!
xx

PETITE BIET NYC Copyright 2013 | All rights reserved ©