Top Image

WE WILL NO LONGER BE NEEDING THESE

Posted on: Tuesday






This weekend we got together with a bunch of neighbors to collect donations for Staten Islanders.  The turnout was amazing, yielding two garages full (floor to ceiling) of food, blankets, medical supplies, bottled water, winter coats, clothing, and toiletries.  On Sunday morning volunteers drove it in truckloads over the Verrazano Bridge directly to families in need. 

In one of those trucks sat a clear trash bag full of fluffy pink baby girl's clothes and shoes.. folded stacks of onesies, wooly knit sweaters, cozy winter pantsuits, caps, socks, and booties... Biet's entire wardrobe up to this point.  Save for three little items with sentimental value, all of the clothing of her babyhood has now moved on, to another family, to another baby girl somewhere.

I had been wondering what to do with the plentitude of pink clothes which sat in the top of our linen closet. Part of me wanted to hold on to them, in case another baby girl was in our future somewhere. But another part of me, the minimalist, organized, utilitarian part (a much smaller part than the hopeful, sentimental, pack-rat part), simply wanted to be rid of it all.  I had been thinking of giving them to a local children's thrift shop for some time now.  

But now I knew why they had remained on that shelf for so long.  They were waiting to be used, now, by another baby (or babies) somewhere, in another borough of our city. So off they went.  We donated everything, and it still didn't feel like enough.  Now a shelf of our closet is empty and ready for little boy clothes.  And hopefully, all of these tiny girly things will make their way into the lives and memories of other families. 

While sorting and folding the piles, I found one of the socks that Biet wore on her very first night with us.  In anticipation of her arrival, Gaby had set up the crib, I had sewed crib sheets, and we had laid out a little receiving outfit on the mattress. These little socks were part of that outfit, and they were the first ones to touch her feet when she finally arrived.  Only one remains, and I can't believe how very small it now looks to me.  

For anyone seeking ways to help, here are some great links:








22 COMMENTS:

  1. Such a sweet, sentimental post. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to part with some of those things, but also how much they will now mean to someone else. You're such a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bekuh. Surprisingly, it was not as hard as I thought it would be to pass these things along. I know they will end up where they need to be.

      Delete
  2. thank you for donating to staten island, and for writing about it here. i spent 4 years there for college and am hearing just the most heartbreaking things from friends still there. i sent everything i could, yet felt particularly bad that i didn't have any baby items (as they are being heavily requested). this gave me such a smile, thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the least I could do, really. Over the past weeks, there have been some amazing relief efforts throughout the city that have helped families tremendously. I really hope Staten Islanders will be back on their feet soon.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful thing you did. It must be really hard to part with things that remind you of your little girl as a little baby. I am sure the people of Staten Island are very grateful. Love Elle xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is really awesome. they really need it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you!
    so much pink ... making space for the blue! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much pink! I was surprised to look back and realize how much, because I am not a huge fan of pink. This time around, I plan to try to stick to more neutral colors, just in case another one is in the future one day. You never know, :)

      Delete
  6. Oh mama, I'm so with you on just wanting to get rid of the old and in with the new. Besides, what better way than to help those in need by donating those baby clothes : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It actually felt really good to clear out some room for this new little mister!

      Delete
  7. This post sends me a bittersweet reminder that I have yet to clear out little one's clothes from the closet, but just not yet. Perhaps, when I begin to accept that I must let go of some things, or, perhaps, if and when we have another baby, I would learn to make space in the closet just as I learn to make room in my heart for more love.

    Thank you for all your wonderful posts, I read; re-read some of them and they definitely touch my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is such a sweet comment. I love how you liken making room in your closet to making room in your heart. That has been my experience exactly!
      xx

      Delete

Please share ... your thoughts // comments // questions // ideas .... thanks!
xx

PETITE BIET NYC Copyright 2013 | All rights reserved ©