Top Image

A Milk-Free Week, oh my!

Posted on: Monday


Biet got to spend the entire weekend at her Mama's side (or rather, on her Mama's hip) this week. Since my work week is usually friday-tuesday, this was quite a nice change of pace for both of us. We had breakfast (+lunch +snacks +dinner) together every day at the table, threw spontaneous living room dance parties in our socks and undies after bath time, and walked for hours around Brooklyn in the lovely tepid winter sunshine. One thing we didn't do, however, was nurse.

It hurt my heart a little bit each time Biet's gaze lowered to my shirt and her tiny hands reached out, determined to figure out how to open the zipper of my hoodie (a zipped up hoodie was worn throughout the whole weekend as part of my nursing-layup uniform), but it was necessary. For my long weekend at home was not a President's Day treat, but due to an excrutiating and unexpected infection; an infection which required a myriad of antibiotics and painkillers- drugs which, we decided, we'd rather not pass into our baby's pure little body.

It was not an easy decision to make- abruptly (and temporarily) weaning Biet. We have been blessed with a near-perfect breastfeeding relationship since day one, and the thought of doing anything other than child-led weaning (most likely not for at least another year or two) had never entered my mind. I do have a heaviness in my heart about putting Biet through this, but the risks of passing harsh and untested drugs on to our developing infant changed our plans a bit, and so here we are: whipping up "solid" meals though out the day for our hungry little daughter, bottle-feeding at nap time & bedtime, and keeping her occupied during the day with games and excursions and Nico-time. And the fully zipped hoodie (layered over an impenetrable shirt).

Luckily, Biet is a champion when it comes to eating. You name it, we blend it, she eats it. Fruits, veggies, grains (we make our own baby cereal from raw oats and turn brown rice into flour to add to beans for her), nuts and seeds (no allergies issues whatsoever so far), leafy greens, goat milk (the closest in nature to human milk), legumes, soups, whole-grain pastas, gnocchi (her newest favorite).. she is fast developing an experienced palate. I love seeing her face light up with surprise and enjoyment when she tastes that first spoonful of something new. So far, the only food that received a disapproving sour face was, surprisingly, sweet potatoes. Funny girl.

I'm looking forward to next week when I am healed and Biet and I can happily resume nursing. I still fully intend to accomplish long-term breastfeeding, for both of us.  Until then, though, I'll just keep busily pumping away to keep my supply up, creating amazing baby cuisine in the kitchen, and loving on Biet with all the milk-free snuggling that I got.


 *Our highchair is the Tripp Trapp by Stokke, a gift from Gaby's cousin. We really love it & I would highly recommend it!


11 COMMENTS:

  1. what a gorgeous little doll! I am in love with your blog - following now - thank you for your follow too. Your button is going right up! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! Your blog is so pretty!

      Delete
  2. Oh, man. What a little champ she is! I wish you well and hope that you both can go back to nursing soon. Good luck and health from one nursing mama to another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! It's going ok so far. She is a champ. A hungry food-loving champ. I am constantly amazed at how much such a little person can eat!

      Delete
  3. I hope you're feeling better soon and so sorry you've been sick. Biet is such a sweetheart and she's so lucky to have such a committed mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor baby...

    But it sounds like she has wonderful parents who are only doing the best for her, so she'll be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's rough, but it's great that you're committed to picking up where you left off. If you explain to her why you're doing this, even though she'll still be frustrated, on another level she'll understand. That's what I did with Max when we had to wean him overnight (when we found out we had only one month to conceive our 2nd baby). I just kept explaining a few times a day and he totally understood. Now he's on standby asking if there's milk everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to hear your story, and to know that it is completely possible to resume a great nursing relationship. Your experience with conceiving your 2nd is so magical, almost like this baby was meant to be! Only 1 month, it's amazing! I will try explaining everything to her, thanks!

      Delete
  6. How beautiful. I've welled up a little. Congratulations on this new future addition to your lovely family. Wishing you all every best thing. Ciara
    Donepezil 5mg

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a interesting article, however, I still do not believe the similarities between the two . Thanks for bringing this article,
    how can i get pregnant l Find me Lover

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little babies need special care and attention about their food as milk is the first thing which is always better from any other thing. All moms should provide better feeding for child. Learn here about proofreading service which can be helpful for solving your study matters.

    ReplyDelete

Please share ... your thoughts // comments // questions // ideas .... thanks!
xx

PETITE BIET NYC Copyright 2013 | All rights reserved ©